What you need to know about the water system in a Food Trailer or Food Truck
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
ABOUT THE WATER SYSTEM
IN A FOOD TRAILER OR FOOD TRUCK
- What is the potable water tank?
It’s the tank that supplies your clean, fresh water for your cooking needs to you concession trailer sinks.
- Where do I fill the potable water tank?
The water tank has an inlet which is located above the fresh water usually located on either side of the trailer or food truck.
- How do I fill the potable water tank?
Using a standard garden hose (3/4 inch), connect the hose to the inlet, open the ball valve from the inside of the unit to allow water to freely enter the tank. After the tank is full, then shut off the ball valve.
- How will I know if the potable tank is full?
There is an overflow pipe in the back of the tank, which allows the water to escape, once the tank is full. Therefore, you will see it spilling.
- Where is the ball valve?
It is found inside the trailer, under the water inlet.
- What is Grey Water?
Grey water, is generally accepted as being wastewater generated from wash hand basins, showers and baths, which can be recycled on-site by being collected in a waste water tank for concession trailers or food trucks. Grey water often excludes discharge from laundry, dishwashers and kitchen sinks due to the high nutrient levels.
- What is Black Water?
Black water, is water that contains human waste as they are flushed from the toilet. It is also known as sewage water. It contains harmful bacteria and its treatment is different from other water treatments.
There are TWO ways of getting potable water to your mobile kitchen’s concession trailer sinks:
- USING WATER DIRECTLY FROM A GARDEN HOSE:
CONNECT THE GARDEN HOSE TO THE OUTSIDE WATER INLET. (MAKE SURE THE SHUT OFF VALVE DIRECTLY UNDER THE WATER INLET INSIDE THE TRAILER IS CLOSED). WATER PUMP CANNOT BE USED.
- USING WATER FROM THE FRESH WATER TANK:
OPEN THE SHUT OFF VALVE. CONNECT THE GARDEN HOSE. FILL THE WATER TANK.
THEN CLOSE THE SHUT OFF VALVE
, AND CONNECT THE PUMP. IF YOU DO NOT CLOSE THE SHUT OFF VALVE, THEN THE PUMP WILL PULL AIR AND COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE PUMP. BOTTOM LINE, THE SHUT OFF VALVE SHOULD BE CLOSED AT ALL TIMES, EXCEPT TO FILL THE FRESH WATER TANK. Note: Make sure that the main breakers and the water pump breaker are on. Make sure the GFCI outlet is on green.
How to winterize your trailer?
We recommend using some of the same techniques that many RV´s use toweatherproof and winterize their units. There are many informative sites online that can assist with ideas and recommendations about winterizing your food truck plumbing system. One site specifically is called:
. This site uses many sources to answer specific questions and issues, weatherproofing and winterizing included.
* You will have better results if you dump the contents of your Potable and Grey water tanks overnight or as temperatures drop more significantly, and the unit is not operating.
* Clear all of the water out of your water heater and faucets so that nothing freezes within the interior of those items that can cause damage.
* During operating hours, you could use a space heater near the water supply area inside the unit that will help with protecting from bitter cold.
* There is also an anti-freeze product which can be added to the system (specifically designed for RV´s). This product should only be used if you decide to not operate during times of bitter cold. The site referenced above has information on it.
We hope this helps you in keeping your unit protected!